Saturday, September 3, 2005

Baltimore cinema: Marnie

Hitchcock's much-admired Marnie (1964), starring Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery, was never one of my favorites, but when I mention it to Mobtown residents, I often get blank stares. Feast your eyes on these stills (courtesy of Hitchcockmania, an amazing font; the Marnies are here) for a rendition of SoBo and the harbor in the sixties. (It was filmed on block-long Sanders Street, south of Federal Hill and just to the west of Southern High.)

Marnie: Penn StationMarnie: Sanders Street (1)
Marnie: Sanders Street (2)Marnie: Sanders Street (3)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous ReggieH said...

Although I recognize the film doesn't quite work entirely, I do like Marnie. There's something about the twisted psyches of the main characters that appeals to me! But I'd always assumed that the 'Baltimore scenes' were were a sound stage construction. Thanks for the enlightenment (as always)

September 4, 2005 at 9:29 AM  
Anonymous bill said...

Reggie,

I think you're probably right that some of this is a soundstage--the harbor part is almost certainly rigged--but a pal of mine, who bought a house on Sanders in the early 1980s, rec'd stories from his elderly neighbors about the filming. In other words, my info is secondhand, but there must be something to it.

--Bill

September 4, 2005 at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home